April 2, 2011

*Sweet Adeline*


Sweet Adeline,
My Adeline,
At night, dear heart,
For you I pine.
In all my dreams,
Your fair face beams.
You're the flower of my heart,
Sweet Adeline.

She's here!! Were we ready? Well, not exactly. Are we loving her? Every stinking minute! Adeline Elizabeth Harding came to our family Sunday, March 27. I have to admit, she was a little scrunchy looking at first, not to mention a little cone head action, but my little mushy girl is growing more and more beautiful each day.

My actual due date was not suppose to be until April 8, but at my 37 week visit the doctor let me know that I was already 4 cm dialated and that we needed to unpack the baby stuff cause it didn't look like I would last even 2 more weeks. She also said she thought I would go pretty fast so as soon as I started feeling contractions we needed to move our tushies to the hospital.

I tried to pay attention to all the little signals my body was giving me, afraid I would go into labor and not know it. My bff Fletch was hoping and praying baby girl would come sooner because she was leaving on a long trip March 26. Well, baby almost cooperated, but she had to arrive fashionably late. Saturday night/Sunday morning I started feeling contractions but they didn't hurt so I wasn't sure if it was the real thing or not. Around 8 am they started coming more regularly- about 10 minutes apart- we called the advice line. Just during the short phone call the contractions became closer together, about 5 minutes apart, so we left for the hospital.
Along the way we took our time dropping off Samson at my mom and dad's and getting my dad and John to give me a blessing.

Once we arrived at the hospital my contractions were getting a little stronger, but I still sort of thought they might send us home. It wasn't until the doc came to check me and informed me I was 6 cm dialated and moving quickly that my contractions started to hurt. I guess the confirmation that we would be staying let my body go for it, cause man, those contractions were killer! As soon as I was transferred to labor and delivery they let me have the epidural right away. It was amazing, it worked instantly relieving all my pain and contrary to what I anticipated, I could still move and feel my legs and feet.

Anyway, it was all smooth sailing after that. They actually had to slow me down because I needed to receive antibiotics for the strep virus I was carrying. After I had the meds in my system, they let me start pushing. My mom and mother in law Dawn were there with John to coach me on. I was laughing as I tried to push watching the moms' faces turn red as they held their breath and pushed with me! Addie came right out after pushing maybe 15 minutes.
What a surreal feeling! John and I kept looking at one another and saying, "Is this real life??"

Both mom and baby recovered quickly so now we are all at home spending time together as a new family, and loving every moment! John got all week off work and has been taking such good care of both of us. He's already got this daddy thing down, especially the swaddling part! Here are a few shots from our first few days with little Addie.
Thanks for all the love and support!

Beautiful Grandmas

Proud Grandpa forever forward known as "Pop"

Uncle Shayne was so excited to meet Addie

Coming home from the hospital!
So little in her big seat.
Addie at home awake, mesmerized by her Daddy

Samson looking after Miss Adeline



4 comments:

Jek said...

Congrats!! She is beautiful!! My piece of advice, keep her swaddled for months! it works wonders!! Keep up the good work momma!

Andrew and Erica Lowe said...

So happy for you guys!!!! She is wonderful! Hope you guys are doing well-- you guys are natural parents :)

Elisabeth said...

She's so precious! I can almost smell the newborn baby smell through the pictures. haha... is that weird? I can see both of you in her cute little face. Love you all! Rach, you're my hero!

Tabitha said...

The Samson photo is precious!

Seeing your tiny baby makes me want another. Watch out, they grow FAST! My little guy is already almost 17 months! He is definitely a little boy now and not a "baby" Time flies once you have kids.